General Purpose of the Position:
A Box Office and Registration Associate is a full-time "frontline,” customer service position which plays a key role both within the JCC’s Membership & Registration
Department and within the larger institutional picture. The primary goal of the position is to assist and respond to JCC member and constituent needs by providing program and class information,
ensuring a warm, welcoming and positive customer service experience, and enrolling people into the vast array of JCC programs, classes and events.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Registration Associate works primarily in Lobby Box Office and/or Mezzanine Phone Bank, but may be dispatched to another area of the building in support of remote registration functions or interdepartmental communication efforts.
- Welcome visitors and members to the JCC and identify their interest in general information, membership or class/event registration.
- Educating prospective members about JCC classes, membership and benefits – and the total JCC value proposition.
- Works with the Membership staff to ensure that prospects are routed to membership for tours, membership pricing and more specific membership info.
- Answers phone calls and in-person, answers inquiries about JCC Membership, courses and programs.
- Help prospective and current members find programs that match their interests and schedules – referred to as being a "JCC concierge" or "ambassador."
- Listen to positive and negative feedback from members and helping them to feel they have a voice within our community by circulating and responding to feedback. Direct constituents to make additional comments in our Suggestion Box. Check or to you.
- Support JCC special events (including movies, lectures, shows, readings, etc.) from a Box Office perspective by managing wait lists, comp lists, walk-in traffic and providing general line/crowd management from the Box Office
- Facilitate communication between members/guests and program directors who oversee certain program areas and help address special class placement or registration situations
- Process registration paperwork from other departments, troubleshoots and problem-solves special registration situations, and process refunds and course changes for people who are not satisfied with their class choices in accordance with JCC standards and policies.
- Support visual organization of Box Office area – including marketing collateral.
- Ad hoc support of MemReg department functions & Reception back-up.
- Clerical duties including processing registrations, office support and filing.
- Ad hoc projects in support of JCC membership sales and customer service.
Most of the work of a Registration Associate is determined by the flow of public traffic. High traffic will often dictate what the associate does,
in terms of processing applications and answering questions. This is when the “team work ethic” is vital in order for the department to work efficiently.
When the traffic is slow, the associates work independently and process applications that need to be processed and charged,
file processed applications into binders, and perform follow-up phone calls.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Extroverted, friendly, open disposition oriented to customer service and sales
- Patient, calm, tolerant, good-humored demeanor very important!
- Agile, flexible, responsible, detailed
- Thorough understanding of standards of excellence, of JCC programs and mission, of Upper West Side neighborhood, and of affiliated organizations
- Ability to relate to and work with others in the Membership & Registration department and cross-departmentally.
- Comfort and willingness to be available and accessible to aid customers and internal JCC staff when needed, answer questions, help with trouble customers or situations.
- Attention to follow-through.
- Commitment to continual process improvement and quality control.
- Excellent trouble-shooting skills.
- Scheduling flexibility.
- Evening and Sunday availability required.
Computer Equipment and Software Requirements:
Must be computer literate and able to master JCC systems, including but not limited to Imis and Meeting Room Manager.
Education and Experience Required:
- Prior customer service experience preferred
- Prior telemarketing and phone experience preferred.
- Prior experience in a community center, health club or “event” environment preferred.
Employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time, to listen and hear, and to use hands and fingers to operate office equipment.
Employee is regularly required to stand and walk for long periods of time while leading tours around the building. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Specific auditory abilities required by this job include good hearing and ability to
The noise level in the work environment is moderate to heavy. The Lobby area is chaotic and busy at times.
There are times of high traffic in both the Mezzanine space and the Lobby space which may increase the pace of customer service.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship.
Please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org